Thursday, December 6, 2007

Terrible News

As you all may know, we had a massacre at Our Westroads Mall yesterday at the Von Maur store. We are all deeply saddened by this tragedy. The members of our family are safe, however, the families of 9 others are not (including the shooter). Something like this doesn't happen here, but that's what is always said when a tragedy occurs. To confirm, 8 people's lives were taken and 5 others were injured. Out of the 8 people, 5 of them were store employees.

I woke up this morning and for a moment, I thought I had experienced a nightmare. Then, I realized I had, but that it was real. The whole city, and I am sure the whole nation, is still in shock. I am so thankful that I didn't know anyone. My mom is an avid shopper, and luckily, she was at work at the time. Everyone is speechless and numb. Unfortunately, the 19-year-old shooter is getting all the media attention he wanted-he is finally famous. I wish that the media would research and tell us about the VICTIMS lives and who they were, instead of telling everyone about all of the little details of this killer's life.

This kid went to school in Papillion, where I live, and the city was just voted the 6th best place to live in America. Shame on him for being from our virtually crime-free town.

So, this is my latest news. Also, since this has become a nationwide news interest, we have been contacted by family members that we haven't heard from in a long time. It is a blessing and at the same time heart-breaking. I returned my Aunt Linda's call, after not hearing from her since probably junior-high, and was elated to hear her voice. Family is very important to me and therefore, she is. I told her how wonderful it was to hear from her and that it would be great to have her join us for the holidays. I expected us to make plans, however, she declined my invitation. I guess you can't always win, right? I am just trying to remind myself that it has nothing to do with me personally. It is still really hard to accept. Who wouldn't want to see thier family and the babies?

Please pray for the families that lost thier loved ones and for the city's healing to begin. We will be strong and come together as the great community we are.

1 comment:

Krishana said...

Yea, I am glad that no one I know was at the mall that day. The story line-don't shop so darn much MOM! :)